Try our FREE Superfood Smoothie Challenge!
APPLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE
This butternut squash soup recipe developed as an accident… just like any great invention!
Make this soup in just a few easy steps in your high powered blender.
Easily make this recipe vegan by omitting the optional butter or using a butter alternative and vegetable broth.
If you can’t find ginger apple cider, try using any hard apple cider and then adding a 1/2 teaspoon or so of ginger to spice it up.
You could even try apple juice and ginger instead of the cider in the recipe.
Warm this soup up for up to a few days afterward to enjoy the complex sweet and spicy combination!
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic butter or butter alternative optional
- 2 large yellow onions skinned and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium apples cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- 1 clove elephant garlic skinned and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery coarsely chopped
- 3 cups of organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 6 ounces Angry Orchard “Apple Ginger” Hard Cider or similar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- Remove stem from the butternut squash, and cut squash into two halves. Scoop out the seeds with a large spoon and discard the seeds. Rub the inside with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Place these on a foil-lined roasting pan, and roast in the oven for one hour, or until soft. Set aside after roasting.
- Meanwhile, heat a stainless steel frypan on the stove, adding the remaining olive oil and the pat of butter. Stir together, and add the chopped onion, garlic, apple, and celery. Saute over medium-low heat until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Using a 64-oz or bigger container, add first the 3 cups of broth, 6 oz. of Angry Orchard Hard Cider, the thyme, followed by the soft, caramelized onion mixture. Use a large spoon to scoop out the roasted butternut squash into the container, discarding the outer skin.
- For Vitamix: Start the machine on Variable One, slowly increase to Variable 10/High, and run for six minutes OR Use the Soup setting.
- For Blendtec: Run the SOUP cycle 3 times, or until a thick steam begins to escape the lid.
- Garnish with some fresh thyme and croutons if desired. Serve and enjoy...and don't forget that you still have six leftover ounces of cider to sip with your soup!
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ELEPHANT GARLIC
Elephant garlic might look like overgrown garlic, but it’s actually part of the leek family, so this soup doesn’t have a super ‘garlicky’ flavor.
One clove of elephant garlic can be the size of a whole HEAD of garlic, but the flavor of the clove will be milder than that of a single clove of garlic.
The health benefits aren’t like those of garlic, but this alternative produces a more complex, almost sweet flavor when cooked.
Let us know in the comments what you think about elephant garlic when you try it – or if you try this recipe with regular garlic!