Get FREE eBooks/Downloads for Your Health! Click Here 🙂
WHITE BEAN AND PUMPKIN SOUP BISQUE WITH SAGE PESTO RECIPE
This is two recipes in one: a creamy, rich pumpkin bisque and an earthy sage pesto, the perfect makings of a speedy first course for a holiday meal or a light lunch or dinner.
The soup can be made a few days ahead and then topped with fresh pesto to keep the flavor and color vibrant when serving.
If you have a real pumpkin laying around, make your own pumpkin puree for even more homemade goodness.
Blendtec or Vitamix and a few other high power blenders can heat soup through friction, but you can make this recipe in a regular blender as well – just return it to the stove at the end to cook.
Easily make this a delicious vegan soup by swapping butter for a quality oil, chicken stock for vegetable stock and using a milk substitute and vegan parmesan cheese (I love the Follow Your Heart Brand).
Aside from smoothies, I LOVE making soups in my blender. If you’re like me click here for more Vitamix soup recipes.
WATCH A QUICK VIDEO OF THIS WHITE BEAN AND PUMPKIN SOUP BISQUE WITH SAGE PESTO RECIPE:
And subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more blender videos!
White Bean and Pumpkin Bisque with Sage PestoPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
For White Bean and Pumpkin Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk or milk substitute of choice (vegan option, I like full fat coconut milk or homemade almond milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
For Sage Pesto
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1 tablespoon sage, and garlic to pan; saute 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add pepper and cumin, saute one minute.
- Stir in 1/2 cup stock; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Combine onion mixture, remaining 2 cups stock, beans, and pumpkin in a blender jar.
- For Vitamix: Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend until smooth, then add milk and salt. Blend for 6-7 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from vented lid.
- For Blendtec: Run the SOUPS cycle one time. Then add milk and salt and run the SOUPS cycle two more times, until heavy steam escapes from vented lid.
- Add vinegar and use Speed/Variable 1 to quickly combine.
- At this point you can save the soup for later! If serving immediately, then rinse out your blender jar and carry on with the pesto.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sage, spinach, and remaining ingredients in your blender (ideally a smaller jar than the 64 oz container).
- For Blendtec: Use your manuel keys and take it to speed 6, let it run between 15 and 30 seconds. Careful not to over blend.
- For Vitamix: Start on speed 1, turn the machine on, slowly increase to speed 7 and let it run for 30 to 45 seconds. Press the ingredients into the blade with the tamper.
- Ladle about 2/3 cup of bisque into eight bowls; top each serving with 2 tsp pesto.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter our weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
READY TO UPGRADE YOUR BLENDER?
See all current Vitamix sales!
SAGE HEALTH BENEFITS
Herbs don’t just make everything taste good, they also have health benefits that often go unnoticed.
Sage can reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s, depression, and even digestive problems.
Historically, sage has been used for medicinal benefits in dire times.
It was one of four herbs that went into a tonic believed to ward off the plague!
Research shows that sage is great at improving memory, and high levels of Vitamin K and various antioxidants make sage a nutritious addition to any meal!