Try our FREE Juice Detox!
RED TART CHERRY AND CHIA SEED ENERGY GEL RECIPE
Replace those sugary and artificially flavored store bought energy gels with your own easy to make homemade Red Tart Cherry and Chia Seed Energy Gel made in a your blender! This recipe is an easy and healthy way to pack in the energy you need for a great run, ride or workout! Chia seeds are packed with energy and help keep you hydrated while the tart cherry provides anti inflammatory properties, a perfect combination for pre workout or on the go nutrition. Blend up a batch, stick them in plastic baggies, freeze, and pull one out before your next sweat session! This natural cherry and chia seed energy gel recipe is a favorite here at Blender Babes.
- 1/2 cup frozen tart cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- Add orange juice and cherries to your blender jar.
- For Blendtec: Use SPEED 10 and blend 10 seconds then press PULSE or "X" to stop.
- For Vitamix: Start on speed 1, turn machine on and increase to speed 10 then flip to high. Blend for 10 seconds then turn off.
- Add in chia seeds and salt. (It will be slightly foamy on top). Let chia mixture sit for 5 minutes, then give a good stir. Let sit for another 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Put blender jar back on it's base and add honey.
- For Blendtec and Vitamix, use SPEED 5 until combined, approx. 5-10 seconds. It should be thick.
- Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup of gel into 5 individual snack size plastic baggies.
- Freeze until the night before a run or workout. Place in fridge to thaw & Enjoy before or during your workout!
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHERRIES
The cherry is the smallest member of the stone fruit family, which includes plums, apricots, nectarines, and peaches. Cherries are typically classified as either sweet or tart. Sweet cherries include Bing cherries, Lambert cherries, Rainier cherries and are mainly grown in Washington, Oregon and Idaho and tart cherries include the Montmorency and Balaton varieties which are produced primarily in Michigan.
Tart cherry contains powerful antioxidants that can help in areas such as joint health, cardiovascular health, and overall health benefit. Tart cherries are used for conditions involving inflammation and pain, such as arthritis, gout, muscle pain, back pain, diabetes, and neurogenerative diseases. Both Balaton and Montmorency tart cherries contain relatively high levels of the antioxidant melatonin compared to other foods, which can help you get a better night’s sleep.