Enter our latest Blender Giveaway!
BAKED VEGETABLE FRITTATA
This baked vegetable frittata is a savory, homestyle “comfort food” with a healthy twist. It is filling enough to be the star of an easy dinner, as well as the perfect brunch option! This is a great basic recipe, so you can use whatever vegetables and herbs you have on hand. For a more tender and flavorful dish you can add a bit of milk and cheese of choice (see Notes), however you can also make this dairy free and use egg beaters! This uses less oil than a traditional omelette, and you can use shiitake mushrooms to boost the health benefits even further. I prefer a smoked hot sauce like Tabasco Smoked Chipotle, but you try your favorites or omit it completely, if you prefer. This vegetable frittata recipe is done almost completely in your Blendtec or Vitamix blender, but you could adapt it for a “regular” blender as well – just hand chop the vegetables and blend the eggs for a little longer than the times in the recipe. Make it early in the week and have an easy thing to reheat for a hearty, healthy breakfast.
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red or green pepper seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 4 scallions/green onions sliced
- 8 organic free-range eggs OR equivocal amount Egg Beaters
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped finely by hand
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- For Vitamix: To dry chop the ingredients, start on Variable 1 and use the pulse function (or turn off and on) five to six times, for one to two seconds per pulse. First, the garlic, then add the scallions and bell pepper. Scoop those out and then do the same with the mushrooms.
- For Blendtec: To dry chop the ingredients, pulse five to six times, for one to two seconds per pulse. First, the garlic, then add the scallions and bell pepper. Scoop those out and then do the same with the mushrooms.
- Put the oil in a cast iron or stainless steel 10 inch skillet, and gently saute the garlic and vegetables for about 5 minutes/until soft and well combined.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper, and hot sauce to your blender jar.
- For Vitamix: Start on speed 1, increase to speed 4, and blend the eggs for 10 seconds.
- For Blendtec press the Pulse button 3-4 times.
- Pour the mixture over the sauteed vegetables. Top with the herbs, and place the pan in the oven OR transfer the mixture to a pie dish and cook for about 30 minutes until set.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
If desired, you can add dairy, up to an inch cube of cheddar or parmesan cheese and up to 4 tablespoons of milk, which will result in a more tender and flavorful dish.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF EGGS
There is much debate about whether or not eggs are heart healthy. One egg has a whopping 210mg of cholesterol, which is almost your full recommended daily value of 300mg. If you have high cholesterol, Egg Beaters or egg white might be better for you as the whites contain significantly less sodium, fat and cholesterol while maintaining a large amount of protein. Egg yolks do contain vitamin D, folate, and calcium, though, so your egg consumption should depend on your preferences and health needs. If you prefer the taste of real eggs but are trying to cut cholesterol, try this recipe with 4 complete eggs and an additional 6 egg whites.