Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
MATT’S GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
A green smoothie is when greens are blended in with a fruit smoothie. They provide a powerhouse of nutrients that will help to satisfy your cravings as you go throughout the day and also provide a boost of energy – bonus! As you drink them, your cravings for more greens will go up while your cravings for junk will go down! Say bye-bye to bad for you options and hello to what’s best!
Matt's Green SmoothiePrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 cup water filtered
- 8 big green lettuce such as kale or spinach leaves about 2 cups
- 3 sprigs dill fresh
- 2 bananas fresh or frozen, peeled
- Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- Blendtec: Press the SMOOTHIE button.
- Vitamix: VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 30 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF KALE
Kale contains beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin (a carotenoid similar to lutein), calcium, fiber, and delivers more than twice the recommended daily value of calcium. A sulfur-containing phytonutrient in kale called sulforaphane is believed to have powerful anti-cancer, anti-diabetic and anti-microbial properties and is released when the leaves are chopped or chewed (or blended in a green smoothie!)
Kale also contains powerful antioxidants that help protect against certain cancers such as ovarian cancer. Kale is an excellent green to use for detox smoothies as it has cleansing properties. The nutrients in kale help protect against cataracts while promoting healthy lungs, cardiovascular health and boosts the immune system. Kale has anti-inflammatory properties making it an excellent food for those with rheumatoid arthritis.