Ready to use your blender to create easy and delicious meals, snacks, smoothies, condiments, cocktails and treats? Grab our Ultimate Healthy Blender Recipes eBook Bundle – Now 62% OFF!
Enter our latest Healthy Living Giveaways!
CHIPOTLE SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH AVOCADO FROM HEALTHY HAPPY VEGAN KITCHEN COOKBOOK
This quick and easy recipe for sweet potato soup, topped with buttery avocados from my new cookbook Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen is a must-try!
Sweet potato lovers will adore this creamy, feisty blend.
For this simple recipe for sweet potato soup, you can try adding additional spices like ginger, turmeric, paprika, pepper, and cinnamon to amp up the flavor without upping the calories or sodium!
I love this soup served extra thick and creamy, but you can easily thin things out simply by adding more vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, or water.
Garnish this spicy sweet potato soup with slices of avocado and enjoy!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup with Avocado from Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen Cookbook
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 3 ⁄4 to 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ⁄2 avocado diced and tossed in fresh lime juice, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Poke a few holes in the potato using a fork. Bake the sweet potato until tender, sticky, and sweet, about 60 minutes. Remove the skin and place the flesh in a high-speed blender.
- Add 1 cup water, 3⁄4 cup of the broth, the nondairy milk, maple syrup, chipotle powder, coconut oil, and salt and pepper to taste and blend until smooth.
- For Blendtec: Blend on High Speed. Blend for about 30 seconds if potatoes are hot and 4-6 minutes if cold, until steam escapes the lid.
- For Vitamix: Start on Variable Speed 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase to Variable Speed 10/High. Blend for about 30 seconds if potatoes are hot and 4-6 minutes if cold, until steam escapes the lid.
- For thinner soup, add a few more splashes of the broth or any of the liquids.
- Transfer the soup to a saucepan and simmer over low heat until ready to serve.
- Serve with the avocado over the top.
- Spice It Up! Make things extra spicy by adding a pinch of any of these: cayenne, ground turmeric, grated peeled fresh ginger, paprika, and/or ground cinnamon.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter our weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SWEET POTATOES
Sweet potatoes are an excellent and inexpensive staple to have on hand.
These deep orange-fleshed nutritional powerhouses add weight management benefits to your diet that ordinary white and yellow-fleshed potatoes do not.
Great Fiber Content:
Sweet potatoes contain 7 grams of fiber per serving, almost twice as much fiber as other potatoes.
The high fiber content causes the caloric energy in them to be used more slowly and efficiently than a low-fiber carbohydrate like pasta or rice.
Sweet potatoes contain a large amount of vitamin B6, which breaks down a substance called homocysteine that contributes to hardening of the arteries and blood vessels.
Thus, vitamin B6 helps keep the walls of important blood passageways flexible and healthy.
Wonderful Source of Manganese:
Manganese is a little-discussed trace mineral that has some great health benefits.
It is a pivotal component in the metabolism of carbohydrates which helps support healthy blood sugar levels and sustained energy.
Image & recipe excerpted with permission from Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen by Kathy Patalsky. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
12 thoughts on “Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup from Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen Cookbook”
4.2 Grams of trans fat must be a misprint. What are the corect numbers?
This recipe has about 10 grams of fat in it. Thanks and I hope you enjoy it!
very nice and I will need to try. 2 fav sweet potato recipes :
Mashed sweet and Yukon gold 1:3 ratio with roasted garlic, butter and 1/2&1/2. Not vegan but delicious
Wedged and roasted. Olive oil, salt and pepper.
YUMMMM Morgan! Will have to try the mix with the yukon gold! We are huge sweet potato fry girls over here too 😉
We like them steamed and mashed but our favorite is sweet potato pie.
Ooooohhh Yeah Sharon! Especially during the holidays! 🙂
Usually I boil it and eat like that when smooth. Sometimes I put it in mixed vegetable
Looks good! I don’t think I’ve ever had sweet potato soup.
I usually prepare sweet potatoes by baking them in the oven, steaming or lightly boiling them
I love making sweet potato french fries! 🙂
Ditto Lina!! So healthy and easy!