Enter our latest Blender Giveaway!
CLEAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MINT ICE CREAM RECIPE
You might become obsessed with this chocolate chip mint ice cream recipe – this dessert never gets old…. and can you believe that you’re still eating clean while enjoying this tasty treat?? I couldn’t either!
The addition of peppermint and cacao nibs remakes this classic ice cream recipe into something a little more decadent, and the bananas and spinach give it a super powerhouse healthy kick!
This vegan ice cream recipe uses maple syrup, but you could also sub with a few drops of stevia, some xylitol or other sweeteners of choice.
This low-calorie chocolate chip mint ice cream recipe is made easy in your Blendtec or Vitamix blender, but you can still make it with a regular blender – just be sure to chop the spinach and mix in the cacao nibs in a bowl before refreezing.
- 1-2 ounces coconut milk or other milk substitute
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup*
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 to 5 drops of food grade peppermint oil or mint extract
- 2 bananas sliced and frozen
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips.
- Slice the bananas and put in a freezer proof container and freeze for minimum 2 hours.
- For Blendtec: Add the coconut milk (start with 1 ounce, add more as needed to blend), spinach, honey, and mint. With the TWISTER JAR or FOURSIDE Jar - Use SPEED 4 for 5 to 10 seconds until spinach is blended. Add the frozen banana + 2 tablespoons of raw cacao nibs or chocolate chips. Press the ICE CREAM button. If cavitation occurs (will not with Twister Jar), stop machine and move ingredients toward the blade. Then use SPEED 4 for until well combined (about 20 - 30 seconds). Careful not to over blend. Add 1 tablespoon of raw cacao nibs and PULSE 2 times.
- For Vitamix: Add the spinach, banana, coconut milk and honey and 2 to 3 drops of peppermint. Use VARIABLE speed #2 for 45 seconds, using the tamper to push the ingredients towards the middle, then increase to VARIABLE speed #7 for 10 seconds.
- Add the Cacao Nibs and PULSE** 2-3 times.
- Serve immediately OR for a traditional ice cream texture, place ice cream into a freezer proof container and freeze for approximately 2 hours or until set, but not hard.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter our weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
*You can also use an equivalent other sweetener of choice, such as stevia or xylitol. For a non-vegan version, use equal amounts raw honey
**If Vitamix does not have a PULSE button with machine off, set to speed 10/high and power on/off 2-3 times.
HEALTH BENEFITS & FUN FACTS
Bananas are an excellent source of nutrition and have been considered to be one of nature’s perfect foods.
Banana contains potassium and fiber and is also high in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B2. Healthy blood pressure, as well as healthy heart functions, are derived from potassium.
Studies have shown that people who consume bananas and other foods high in potassium are less likely to develop atherosclerosis and high blood pressure.
Spinach is a powerhouse of nutrition rich in many vitamins and nutrients. Experts have identified at least thirteen different compounds in spinach that provide antioxidant and/or anti-cancer benefits.
Spinach is also rich in calcium and magnesium, which helps prevent osteoporosis. It is also an excellent source of iron, which is critical for women in menopause and for people who have anemia or chronic fatigue syndrome.
Spinach contains vitamin E, which helps slow mental decline and memory loss.