Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD CUPCAKES RECIPE
Yum! Everyone you share with will love these little cupcakes and won’t be able to wait until you make them again!
These low calorie and low sugar cupcakes can also be made gluten-free!
They are amazing on their own or you can try frosting with some healthy NOTella chocolate hazelnut spread.
Try serving topped with some granola and pecans with a little banana on the side (better yet, make it a caramelized banana)!
Your Blendtec or Vitamix or even a regular blender can help quickly make these Chocolate Banana Bread low sugar cupcakes from Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook!
Chocolate Banana Bread Cupcakes Recipe
- ½ cup milk of choice almond milk
- ½ cup over-ripe mashed banana measured after mashing
- 3 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup xylitol or unrefined/raw sugar of choice
- pinch pure stevia extract or additional 1 tablespoon unrefined sugar of choice
- ¼ cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 10 cups of a muffin tin, or line with cupcake liners, and set aside.
- Place the milk, mashed banana, oil, vanilla, and vinegar in blender and gently blend until smooth
- For Blendtec: Blend on LOW or Manual Speed 3, blend for 10 seconds.
- For Vitamix: Select Variable Speed 1, turn on machine and quickly increase to Speed 5 for about 20 seconds or until smooth.
- Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir very well.
- Place dry ingredients in jar and gently blend until just evenly mixed. Do not over blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and handmix just until evenly mixed.
- Portion the batter evenly among the muffin cups, being sure to fill each cup only halfway, as the cupcakes will rise considerably as they bake.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, until cupcakes have risen and domed and a toothpick inserted into a center comes out clean.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin
- If desired, frost with Healthy Chocolate Notella just before serving.
- Refrigerate unfrosted leftover cupcakes in a covered container for up to 4 days.
2. Sugar amount varies depending on what type of sugar used.
BLENDER BABES RECIPE TESTER NOTES
“These were fast, easy, and allergy-friendly.
My children LOVED them, and we made the recipe 3 times in 3 weeks!”
and “a tasty chocolate banana muffin/cupcake with chocolate chips.
My daughter loved them plain. I thought they were good plain and, for added decadence, with some of the healthy nutella.”
HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL
Conventional thought used to consider fats like coconut oil to be unhealthy and contribute to heart disease.
We now know that this isn’t true.
In fact, coconut oil is actually a heart-healthy food that can keep your body running smoother in a few different ways.
Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness.
Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida.
Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood-sugar control.
People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body.
Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance.
It improves digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
Image by Blender Babes Recipe Tester and One Lovely Life Blogger Emily Dixon
Recipes from CHOCOLATE COVERED KATIE by Katie Higgins. Copyright (c) 2015 by Katie Higgins. Used with permission by Grand Central Life and Style. All rights reserved.