Try our FREE Juice Detox!
VEGAN OIL-FREE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI WALNUT MUFFINS
Lightly sweet and oil-free, these chocolate muffins are hiding a healthy green vegetable! Don’t worry, you can’t taste the zucchini, but it does a fantastic job of adding moisture so we can do without any added oil. What’s that? A vegan, refined sugar–free, and oil-free chocolate zucchini muffin recipe that tastes great? Yes, it’s true. Miracles do happen! You’ll see for yourself when you discover 100 amazing vegan recipes from the new Oh She Glows cookbook!
We adapted using a high speed blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, however you can also hand mix these amazingly nutritious muffins! Make sure to join our community for more healthy blender recipes from Blender Babes! 🙂 If you try this one, share your rating with us in comments below!
Oil-Free Chocolate Zucchini Walnut muffinsPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 1 ⁄4 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ⁄2 cup Sucanat coconut sugar, or natural raw sugar
- 1 ⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted OR raw cacao
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 ⁄3 cup mini dark chocolate chips vegan
- 2 ⁄3 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- 1 1 ⁄4 cups lightly packed grated zucchini about 1⁄2 medium zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan, or line with papers.
- In a small bowl stir together the ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons (45 mL) filtered water to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- Add the milk and vinegar to your blender jar and PULSE* 1-2 times to combine. Wait until it curdles a bit.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flax egg, maple syrup and vanilla to your blender jar and secure lid.
- For Blendtec: PULSE 2-4 times until well mixed.
- For Vitamix: Start on Variable Speed 1, slowly increase Variable Speed 4 and blend 10 seconds.
- Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl with dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts (if using), and zucchini, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin filling each 3/4.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched.
- Cool for 5 minutes, transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter our weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
READY TO UPGRADE YOUR BLENDER?
See all current Vitamix sales!
BLENDER BABE RECIPE NOTES
Grind your flax seeds in your Blendtec or Vitamix blender first if they are whole. If you are using whole walnuts you can pulse your blender to chop them into pieces. One tester replaced the whole wheat flour with sorghum flour to make it gluten free and they still turned out amazing! She also replaced the sugar with equal amounts of honey (non vegan), and the recipe just needed about 10 minutes more baking time.
HEALTH BENEFITS ZUCCHINI
Zucchini, is a staple at many farmers markets during the warmer months and can range in color from yellow to deep green. With its tender texture and slightly sweet flavor, it only has 21 calories per cup making a welcome addition to a calorie-controlled diet. Zucchini boasts a rich nutritional profile and it offers many health benefits such as a good source of vitamin C. A water-soluble antioxidant, vitamin C dissolves in your body fluids and protects your cells from free radicals, highly reactive compounds that oxidize your DNA, lipids and proteins, causing cellular damage.
Recipe & Image Reprinted by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © Glo Bakery Corporation, 2014.