Check out our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
ZESTY CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN CAKES RECIPE
These bite-sized easy black bean appetizers smell so delicious in the oven, you won’t be able to resist popping one in your mouth as soon as they’re done! Even harder, resisting long enough to serve them to your guests! Thankfully these tasty cakes are easy to make, so whipping up an extra batch is a cinch. The high-protein black beans make them guilt free! You can also make these tasty cakes gluten-free if you wish, by substituting with gluten-free bread crumbs!
Use a high speed blender, like a Blendtec or Vitamix for the best consistency, and join our community for more nutritious appetizers and recipes from Blender Babes! Don’t forget to leave us a comment and share your rating below!
Zesty Chipotle Black Bean Cakes RecipePrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs*
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans low sodium, rinsed & drained
- 2 tablespoon chipotle sauce or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 lime
- 1 egg
- Guacamole or avocado
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 lime juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil covered in cooking spray.
- In large bowl, add 1 cup of panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Add cilantro, garlic, green onions, red pepper, black beans, chipotle sauce and juice from 1/2 of a lime to your blender jar.
- For Blendtec: Press the DIPS button.
- For Vitamix: Start on Variable Speed 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable Speed 5 or 6. Blend for 20 seconds, keeping it chunky. Careful not to over blend.
- Add bean mixture to the panko. Add in egg and mix thoroughly with your hands. You will not want extra liquid, so add extra panko, if needed.
- Make medium sized cakes, about 1/4 cup each, and place on baking sheet.
- Spray the top of cakes with cooking spray so that they will brown in the oven.
- Cook for 10 minutes, flip the cakes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Top cakes with guacamole or avocado, tomatoes and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve warm.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
READY TO UPGRADE YOUR BLENDER?
See all current Vitamix sales!
FUN FACTS & HEALTH BENEFITS OF CILANTRO
Cilantro is a popular Mediterranean herb commonly recognized in Asia as leaf-coriander. It is widely used in savory dishes from all cultures, both in modern and traditional cuisines. The herb contains many notable plant-derived chemical compounds that are known to have disease preventing and health-promoting properties.
Cilantro is rich in antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins and dietary fiber, which help reduce LDL or “bad cholesterol”, while increasing HDL or “good cholesterol” levels. It’s also a good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese, iron and magnesium. Potassium is especially important because it helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Iron is essential for red blood cell production. And manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase, an important defense for all cells in the body!