Enter our latest Blender Giveaway!
SOUTHWEST ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP
One of my favorite Fall and Winter flavors is that of pumpkin, yet so many of us limit ourselves to an indulgent pumpkin pie.
Why not branch out to your savory side with this soup, which stars the caramelized goodness of roasted pumpkin and spicy Southwestern spices that will warm you up all year round!
- 1 pie pumpkin OR 1 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic butter optional
- 2 large yellow onions skinned and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove elephant garlic skinned and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups of organic chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes depending on how hot you like it
- 2 to 4 ounces cream cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Remove stem pumpkin, and cut the pumpkin into two halves. Scoop the seeds out with a spoon; save these if you plan on roasting them. Rub the inside with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Place these on a foil-lined roasting pan, and roast in the oven for one hour, or until soft. Set aside after roasting.
- Meanwhile, heat a stainless steel frypan on the stove, adding the remaining olive oil and the pat of butter. Stir together, and add the chopped onion and garlic. Saute over medium-low heat until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- For both Vitamix and Blendtec: Using a 64-oz or 90oz container, add first the 3 cups of stock, the cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes, then the onion mixture. Use a large spoon to scoop out the pumpkin into the container, discarding the skin. Lastly, add the cream cheese…two ounces to temper the “burn”, four ounces if you want to really keep the spice in control, or eliminate the cream cheese if you like it hot!
- For Blendtec: Use the SOUP button 2 times.
- For Vitamix: Start the machine on Variable 1, increase to Variable 10/High, and run for six minutes.
- Serve as is, or top with roasted pumpkin seeds and a dash of oil for a combination of creamy, crunchy, and super delicious!
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
READY TO UPGRADE YOUR BLENDER?
See all current Vitamix sales!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PUMPKINS
Aside from being the holiday season’s trademark squash, pumpkins are packed with important nutrients.
The bright orange flesh of a pumpkin is loaded with fiber and potassium, necessary components of a healthy digestive system.
One cup of pumpkin puree provides you with 7.1 grams of dietary fiber and near ten percent the daily requirement of potassium.
That same serving also supplies 3.4 grams of iron, a mineral lacking in the average vegetarian diet which supports a strong immune system.
Both pumpkin and crushed red pepper are good sources of immune system building vitamin A, and one serving of each contains 25 percent of your daily dietary needs.
As well as this, crushed red pepper contains carotenoids, which are pain relieving antioxidants responsible for reducing inflammation.