Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
PISTACHIO ICE CREAM KALE GREEN SMOOTHIE SHAKE
This vegan Pistachio Ice Cream Kale Green Smoothie Shake by The Blender Girl is one of Blender Babes’ go to green smoothie recipes when we want something extremely tasty and satiating. The texture of this green smoothie is JUST like a milkshake, it’s almost hard to believe it’s packed with cancer fighting (but slightly bitter) kale! It’s extra filling with added healthy fat and protein from the nuts. This nutty green smoothie calls for cashews, however we have used hazelnuts and brazil nuts that we had on hand and it tasted just as good! For this green smoothie which calls for very little liquid, if you do not own a Blendtec or Vitamix high powered blender, then we recommend using more liquid and definitely frozen fruit, so you can still obtain the milkshake like texture that makes this green smoothie so appealing. Also be sure to check out our tips for making green smoothies with a regular blender!
- 1/2 cup (4oz) of milk substitute or filtered water
- 1 cup kale leaves (about 3 large leaves)
- 2 bananas - fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup pistachios, hazelnuts, or raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons honey or 1/4 cup raw pitted dates (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups ice (1 cup of ice if using frozen bananas)
- Place all the ingredients in the jar in the order listed.
- For Vitamix: Start on variable speed 1, turn the machine on and slowly increase to speed 10, then flip high. Blend until smooth (about 1 minute)
- For Blendtec: Press the WHOLE JUICE Button (if using frozen bananas, may have to run twice OR use the soup button)
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! :) Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS & FUN FACTS
Ginger has many benefits unique to itself, lying in components called gingerols. Several studies show that ginger (fresh not dried) helps reduce nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy, and when used in tea, can relieve symptoms of the common cold and flu, as well as menstrual cramps, headache, and sore throat. Gingerols appear to be responsible for relieving inflammation associated with arthritis and migraine.
Kale also contains powerful antioxidants that help protect against certain cancers such as ovarian cancer. Kale is an excellent green to use for detox smoothies as it has cleansing properties. The nutrients in kale help protect against cataracts while promoting healthy lungs, cardiovascular health and boosts the immune system. Kale has anti-inflammatory properties making it an excellent food for those with rheumatoid arthritis.