Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
MEDITERRANEAN SOUP RECIPE
This unique Mediterranean soup begins with a vibrant broth of celery, red bell peppers, cucumber, avocado, lime juice, spinach, and jalapenos. It is enhanced with the flavors of the Mediterranean including oregano and thyme.
Swimsuit by: Syrup Swimwear
- 2 cups filtered water
- 3 stalks celery quartered
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and stemmed, cut into chunks
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled
- 1 cucumber cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lime peeled, halved
- 3 cups spinach
- Place all ingredients except spinach into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- For Blendtec: Use speed 10 for 10 seconds. Then add the spinach and use SPEED 10 again for 30 seconds. Press any button to stop. (For a HOT version, use the SOUP Button 2 to 3 times, if starting with cold water)
- For Vitamix: VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 10 seconds using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Once the mixture begins to circulate and head room is created at the top of the machine, stop machine and remove lid.
- Add spinach and secure lid.
- Continue blending on HIGH for 30 seconds.
- Enjoy with dulse leaves or flakes.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CELERY
Celery was originally used only for medicinal purposes, mainly as a diuretic and to reduce blood pressure. It wasn’t until 1623 in France that its use as food was first recorded.
Celery contains phthalides, which can help reduce high blood pressure. They do this by relaxing the muscles around arteries, which dilates the arteries and allows blood to flow more efficiently.
Phthalides also reduce the level of stress hormones, which cause blood vessels to relax. Celery is a good source of potassium, calcium, and magnesium, all of which help reduce blood pressure by stimulating urine production and eliminating excess fluid from the body.