Ready to use your blender to create easy and delicious meals, snacks, smoothies, condiments, cocktails and treats? Grab our Ultimate Healthy Blender Recipes eBook Bundle - Now 62% OFF!
Try our FREE Juice Detox!
CARAMELIZED ONION DIP RECIPE (Vegan Options)
This healthy and delicious take on the classic caramelized onion dip is sure to be your chip or veggie’s new best friend!
Grab those lonely sticks of carrots and celery in your fridge and give them a kick of flavor with this easy recipe for a guilt-free appetizer.
A tasty delight for any party spread you can dunk your favorite potato or pita chip into this gluten-free skinny dip without worry.
Using Greek yogurt as a healthy substitute for sour cream and mayonnaise, this caramelized onion dip recipe gives you lots of protein and digestive support as well as the added immune-boosting and skin-glowing benefits of the mighty onion.
Your Blendtec or Vitamix blender will be the handiest tool in this easy-to-make recipe.
Make sure to join our community for more healthy and delicious dip recipes from Blender Babes! And if you try this one at home, please share your rating with us below! We love to get your feedback!
Caramelized Onion Dip
- 1 cup Greek yogurt OR
- 1/2 cup each organic tofu and vegan mayo (VEGAN OPTION)
- 3 cups sliced or chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons oil extra virgin olive, flax seed, avocado or grapeseed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar ,unrefined
- 1 teaspoon olive oil ,for blending
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce OR tamari ,optional
- 1/4 cup Chopped parsley chives or scallion to mix in and leave some for garnish
- Place a small stockpot or soup pot on low-medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to pot and add sliced/chopped onion, and 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar. Cover roughly 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid is released. Uncover pot, add half the water and cook over med-low heat until onions begin to caramelize, stirring the onions repeatedly so that no burning occurs. Add more water as needed, continue stirring for about 10-12 minutes or until onions have caramelized into a nice brown color. When done, remove from heat and set aside. Let onions cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer onion to Vitamix or Blendtec. Add Greek yogurt (or tufu and vegan mayo), 1 tsp olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- For Blendtec: Press the DIPS/BATTERS button or blend on Medium speed for 25 seconds.
- For Vitamix: Select VARIABLE speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE speed #10, then to HIGH. Use tamper to press ingredients into the blade. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Transfer dip to a bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. Add optional soy sauce/tamari and most of the parsley or other options and mix in, sprinkle the rest as a garnish on top.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to meld the flavors. Serve with your choice of veggies or chips! *
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
GREEK YOGURT HEALTH BENEFITS AND FUN FACTS
Greek Yogurt is packed full of protein and calcium as well as naturally-occurring probiotics that keep your digestive and immune system healthy.
In addition to Greek yogurt, this dip recipe uses onions, a wonderful ally in the fight against cancer, onions contain a compound called quercetin which is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer. Onions also contain high level of Vitamin -C and have been used in home-remedies to fight cold and flu for ages.
If that’s not enough to make you love the tears that onions may give you, the powerhouse punch of vitamins A-C-E contain many antioxidants that help decrease inflammation and acne and provide anti-oxidants that help fight skin-aging.
Side note: Onions contain a wider variety of sulfur-enhancing nutrient compounds once cooked or caramelized (provided they are not over-cooked).