Enter our latest Blender Giveaway!
KIMBERLY SNYDER’S ASPARAGUS AND LEEK SOUP
This asparagus and leek soup by Kimberly Snyder is healthy and easy to make – which are the type of soup recipes we LOVE!
As you may or may not know, asparagus is a nutrient dense, cancer fighting powerhouse!
Aside from blanching and roasting these beautiful shoots, half the fun is finding clever ways to incorporate them into your heart healthy diet.
This is a popular Kimberly Snyder recipe from her Beauty Detox book, using nutritious asparagus and luscious leeks as the main flavor players.
The flavor of this pureéd soup is creamy and rich, and made simple by using a power blender however it can be made with a “regular” blender as well! 🙂
I adapted her recipe to give it a creamier high calcium boost by quickly making a cashew cream, see 2nd option included in the recipe.
This gluten free, vegan soup is a perfect addition to an afternoon salad or can be enjoyed on its own.
Be sure to join our blending loving tribe for more delicious soup recipes from Blender Babes and our friends!
If you try this recipe, please share your rating with us in comments section below.
Kimberly Snyder's Asparagus and Leek SoupPrint Pin Rate
- Kimberly Snyder's Soup
- 3 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon low sodium vegetable broth divided
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups chopped leeks white and green parts
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed of tough ends, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley as a garnish
- To add a creamy flare to the recipe 2nd option:
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- For Kimberly Snyder's Soup:
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable broth in a large cooking pot over medium heat, and sauté the garlic, onions, and leeks.
- Add the celery and asparagus, cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and partially cover to simmer, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soup back to the pot, bring to a simmer, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- To make your cashew cream option:
- (Do this part first, set aside, then add to final step above.)
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
Ready to Upgrade Your Blender?
See my most recommended blenders by budget!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ASPARAGUS AND LEEKS
Asparagus has long been heralded as a strong anti-inflammatory food, full of saponins and anti-oxidants.
It is also rich in Vitamin K and high in prebiotic inulin, making it a great addition to your heart healthy diet.
Leeks are full of the flavonoid kaempferol, that has been shown to help protect our blood vessel linings from damage.
Also present in leeks are impressive concentrations of antioxidant polyphenols, which also help cleanse and protect our blood vessels.
A great anti-oxidant duo, these two make!