Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
RAISIN GREEN SMOOTHIE SHAKE RECIPE
All the flavor without needing a toothpick, this raisin green smoothie is more like a raisin milkshake, especially when you use frozen banana. Mmmmmmm. It’s definitely a green smoothie the kiddos will enjoy! If you have a regular blender, you might want to add the raisins last as they can get stuck around the blades. Of course, if you are a Blendtec or Vitamix Blender Babe, raisins are no big thaaaang! Learn how to grind your own flax seeds, to allow your body to better absorb the fiber and omega-3 essential fatty acids and get that amazing healthy boost!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup Kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon peanut or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups ice
- Add ingredients to the jar and secure lid. Blend until smooth.
- Blendtec: Press SMOOTHIE button.
- Vitamix: select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 45 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS & FUN FACTS
There’s good reason why raisins are considered nature’s candy! This dried fruit has over 70% fructose, but it’s a much healthier snack than candy. Raisins are loaded with iron – just one cup provides about 6mg – and iron is needed for concentration, relieve irritability and prevent fatigue, and is necessary for producing hemoglobin. Raisins are also an excellent source of fiber, which helps with digestion and regularity, and lower your risk of colorectal cancer. Raisins also contains boron, which is vital for bone health and helps prevent osteoporosis.
Flaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed that he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, thirteen centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected. Some call it one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet. There’s some evidence it may help reduce your risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke. (Source: WebMd)