Try our FREE Juice Detox!
GRAPEFRUIT HONEY SORBET WITH VANILLA AND GINGER RECIPE
This ruby red grapefruit sorbet recipe features honey, vanilla and ginger for a sweet, fruity, refreshing treat. A touch of complexity is added thanks to the vanilla bean and crystallized ginger making it an excellent palate cleanser between courses at luncheons and holiday events. If you want more tang, you can either cut back on the amount of honey or add an extra grapefruit. This pretty pink sorbet, so elegant, so proper, gets a big smack of ginger at serving time. Easily blend this up today in your Blendtec or Vitamix for the best consistency. If you don’t have a high powered blender don’t fret, just remove as much grapefruit membrane as you can, for a smooth sorbet.
If you love grapefruit sorbet like we do, this recipe frees you from relying on a manufacturer, and puts you in charge of healthy ingredients! Ruby red grapefruits are full of health benefits, so blend this up today!
Grapefruit Honey Sorbet with Ginger RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 3 ruby red grapefruits
- 2/3 cup raw honey*
- Pinch of celtic salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean OR 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Cut the peel and white pith from the grapefruits and then cut the fruit into quarters.
- Working over a medium bowl separate the grapefruit segments from their membranes, discarding the membranes, pith, and any seeds. Place the fruit loosely into a freezer container, and tip in any juice pooled on the cutting board. Place this into the freezer overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- Remove the frozen grapefruit from the freezer, and if hard-frozen, allow to defrost for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Place the honey and salt into a 3-inch blade Vitamix container. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean. Add the frozen grapefruit.
- For Vitamix: Start on Variable Speed 1, turn the machine on and slowly increase to speed 10/High. Use the tamper to press the frozen ingredients into the blades, process until the material is thoroughly incorporated. When the sound of the motor changes, and you have four mounds at the top of the sorbet, you are done. This should take 30 seconds to one minute, depending on how hard-frozen your grapefruit is.
- For Blendtec: If using the Twister jar, run the ICE CREAM cycle and turn the lid with tines counterclockwise. Using the Fourside Jar** run the ICE CREAM cycle. If the blade spins freely stop the machine and use a spatula to push ingredients down into the blades and then run the ICE CREAM cycle again. Repeat if necessary until creamy and combined.
- Serve immediately (or transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months)
- Sprinkle with crystallized ginger.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter our weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
BLENDER BABE RECIPE NOTES
Start this sorbet a few hours before you plan to serve it so the grapefruit has time to freeze. The freshest candied ginger, is often found in the bulk section of the grocery marts (as opposed to that in the baking aisle, which is usually more expensive and almost solidified like a rock). It you find this sorbet too sweet drop the amount of honey to a 1/2 cup. Also coarse-chop the crystallized ginger (if you have a Vitamix – Place the candied ginger into a 32 oz. Dry Vitamix container. Set the Variable Speed to 3 and pulse the material four or five times, one or two seconds per time, until the material is in fine pieces – but not obliterated!). Add it during the last five seconds of blending, incorporating it into the mixture. Extra ginger can be used for garnish.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF RUBY RED GRAPEFRUITS
Ruby red grapefruit is high in vitamin C, pantothenic acid, copper, vitamin A, fiber, potassium, biotin and vitamin B1. The antioxidant Lycopene gives this grapefruit its pink and red colors. Lycopene appears to have anti-tumor activity. Grapefruits have Phytonutrients called limonoids which inhibit tumor formation by promoting the formation the detoxifying enzyme glutathione-S-transferase.