Try our FREE Juice Detox!
DAIRY-FREE PALEO SWISS ALMOND ICE CREAM RECIPE
This Swiss Almond Dairy Free Ice Cream is so simple, but so satisfying. The contrast of sweet and salty, smooth and crunchy is what makes it so appealing. Her coconut and almond milk ice cream’s just one of 75 best dairy-free ice cream recipes in the Spunky Coconut’s cookbook.
Our testers ABSOLUTELY LOVED this almond milk ice cream recipe from one of our favorite paleo diet food bloggers, The Spunky Coconut. One reported that it tasted like Lucky Charms or Snickers Almond Ice Cream! (um… yes please!) The combination of chocolate, almonds, and coconut cream reveals one of the best dairy-free ice cream recipes we have tried so far! For an added protein boost, swirl in some homemade almond butter or coconut butter. With this cookbook, you too can make the best dairy-free ice cream recipes in your Blendtec or Vitamix blender!
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for more great healthy alternatives to your favorite recipes! Also, if you try this recipe, be sure to let us know what you thought in the comments below by sharing your rating with us! 🙂
Ice Cream Base:
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup about 8 soft, pitted Medjool dates
- 1 & 1/2 cups almond cashew, or hemp milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- optional thickener: 1/2 teaspoon guar gum optional
Chocolate Covered Almonds:
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain celtic salt
For the Chocolate Covered Almonds:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 12 minutes, until they are lightly browned, keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
- Make sure almonds have cooled, then chop the toasted almonds by hand or by PULSING in your blender and put in a bowl. Add the chocolate chips and salt.
- Cover and let sit for 3 minutes so that the heat from the almonds melts the chocolate.
- Stir to coat the almonds with the chocolate and salt, then spread them on the lined baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator.
For Ice Cream Base:
- Put the coconut milk and dates in a blender and blend until smooth.
- For Blendtec: Press the Smoothie button.
- For Vitamix: Start on Speed 1, turn the machine on and slowly increase to speed 10/High. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Add the almond, cashew, or hemp milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and thickener (if using) and blend until smooth, repeating the same directions above.
- Freeze for about an hour or refrigerate until cold.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and churn per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Chop the coated nuts and set them aside.
- Transfer the ice cream to a shallow 6-cup rectangular glass dish, then fold in the chopped coated nuts.
- Eat right away or freeze until hard for pretty scoops.
- When frozen solid, allow the ice cream to thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter our weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ALMONDS
Almonds are now the most consumed nut in America! An almond milk ice cream recipe, then, is a great way to consume this high-protein, heart-healthy snack. Almonds really are great for your heart, as they protect artery walls from damage and reduce blood pressure. They’re alkalizing and actually have a tendency to reduce hunger and cravings and keep you thin!
Excerpted with permission from Dairy Free Ice Cream by Kelly V. Brozyna. Published by Victory Belt Publishing. Images courtesy of Kelly V. Broznya.