Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
EASY HOMEMADE ROASTED TOMATO SOUP RECIPE
One great part about owning a high-power blender is your ability to make all kinds of things completely from scratch: nut butters, hummus, and even nut milks. It’s also a great reason to start making other unprocessed foods, too, like this delicious and super easy homemade roasted tomato soup recipe! When I first got my Vitamix, I began cutting way back on pre-processed foods; including using massive amounts of canned tomatoes (because unless the container is glass, it’s likely coated with a BPA material!) and canned soup (oh, the sodium). I “missed” tomato soup…but no longer! This rich, robust soup is thick, fresh, and chock full of nutrients. It’s also very forgiving of tomatoes that are a little on the edge or out-of-season. Just roast the tomatoes, veggies and garlic, and let your Blendtec or Vitamix pulverize the seeds and skins, creating a rich, creamy tomato soup with tons of flavor.
Easy Homemade Roasted Tomato SoupPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 pounds of fresh Roma plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato whole
- 1/2 of a small head of cauliflower broken up into 4 to 6 chunks
- 2 medium yellow onions peeled and quartered
- 1/2 head of garlic just break it in half, no need to break the cloves apart. If you LOVE roasted garlic, use the entire head.
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons if dried
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Line a roasting pan or large, lipped baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the whole tomatoes, cauliflower, sweet potato, and onions into a bowl and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Place these in the prepped baking pan.
- Take the head of garlic and place it in the center of an 8”x 8” square of aluminum foil. Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, then seal the aluminum foil around the garlic, forming a small package. Place in the pan with the vegetables.
- Roast the pan of veggies in the oven for one hour, stirring twice, until the veggies are soft. If the tomatoes get significantly softer than the cauliflower and sweet potato, you can remove these to cool and let the rest bake on.
- When the vegetables* are done roasting, carefully place these in your blender container, reserving one tomato to coarse chop, and set aside for garnish.
- Place the rosemary, thyme, and vegetable broth into your blender jar.
- Open the packet of roasted garlic, and squeeze each clove into the container, removing the outer husk.
- For Blendtec: Press the SOUPS button 2 or 3 times, until the soup steams.
- For Vitamix: Start on Variable Speed 1, slowly increase to Speed 10/High and blend for 5-6 minutes until steaming OR use the SOUP Pre-set.
- Taste the mixture, add sea salt and white pepper to taste. Pulse to incorporate the seasoning if needed.
- Serve, garnishing each bowl with a bit of reserved roasted tomato.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
READY TO UPGRADE YOUR BLENDER?
See all current Vitamix sales!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF TOMATOES
Tomatoes have lycopene, which is great for the skin, tightening it and preventing aging and sunburn. They’re also heart healthy – studies show that they reduce the risk of stroke by 50%. Eating tomatoes also boosts bone health and fight cardiovascular disease, as well as fighting at least nine different forms of cancer! Tomato also encourages healthy, deep sleep – so eat up!