Ready to use your blender to create easy and delicious meals, snacks, smoothies, condiments, cocktails and treats? Grab our Ultimate Healthy Blender Recipes eBook Bundle – Now 62% OFF!
Check out our latest Blender Giveaway!
SUPER EASY SWEET POTATO OR YAM SOUP RECIPE
You won’t believe how tasty and easy this super healthy sweet potato or yam soup is to make.
I enjoy it with either sweet potato or yam, and definitely prefer it with fresh ginger over ground… but as Blender Babes like to say “Use what you got”! 😉
You will not be disappointed with the satisfying rich and creamy texture, minus the calories of a typical cream soup.
In a pinch you can replace coriander with cumin, and for those who like a little crunch in their soup, be sure to add the optional almonds.
For a vegan/vegetarian version just use veggie broth.
The perfect appetizer soup or a complete meal, cut the recipe in half for a big single serve bowl.
By using a high powered blender this recipe only takes about 8 to 10 minutes start to finish, which includes cooking the sweet potato or yam in the microwave vs baking.
Be sure to join our blending loving tribe for more healthy blender recipes. Share your rating with us in comments section below if you try this sweet potato or yam soup at home! 🙂
Super Easy Sweet Potato or Yam Soup
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth OR veggie broth
- 2 yams or sweet potatoes with skin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander or cumin
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds optional
- Microwave yam/sweet potato in saran wrap 6-8 minutes each OR bake 350° to 400° (176° to 204°) until soft, about 35-40 min
- Add all ingredients including potato to blender jar (see note)
- For Blendtec: (90oz Wildside Jar) Press the SOUP button
- For Vitamix and other variable speed blenders: (64oz jar) Start on variable Speed 1, turn the machine on and slowly increase to Speed 10/High. Blend for approximately 1.5 minutes.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle sliced almonds and coriander.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments to enter my weekly photo contest! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
*Optional ingredients are not included in nutritional information
SWEET POTATO HEALTH BENEFITS
Sweet potatoes are a rich in iron as well as magnesium, which is the relaxation and anti-stress mineral.
Magnesium is necessary for healthy blood, artery, heart, bone, muscle, and nerve function, however experts estimate that about 80 percent of the North American population might be deficient in this important mineral.
8 thoughts on “Super Easy Sweet Potato or Yam Soup”
Yikes, it looks like a great recipe except for the Saran Wrap. I avoid it whenever possible because it is loaded with chemicals (BPA as well) which would leach into the potato – especially when heated. I’ll try the old poke the skin with a fork method or boil them instead. Great website:)
You’re totally right! Thanks for pointing that out, I will change it XOXO
Nutritional info says serving size is 1g? 1 cup, maybe?
Hey Stacie. Yes! Thank you for pointing that out! We updated to a new recipe plugin and some things weren’t seamless. 😉 All fixed now. Happy Blending! ~Tarashaun
There is no BPA in Saran wrap. Other brands of plastic cling wrap may, but that brand specifically does not. “SC Johnson does not use BPA in its plastic products, Ziploc® brand bags and containers, and Saran ™ brand wraps. “
Very easy and good recipe. I omitted the lime and almonds and just made the soup.
So glad you made it your own 🙂 wasn’t it delicious??
Everyone is welcome to roast or bake their sweet potato or yam, if you don’t want to use the microwave!