Ready to use your blender to create easy and delicious meals, snacks, smoothies, condiments, cocktails and treats? Grab our Ultimate Healthy Blender Recipes eBook Bundle - Now 62% OFF!
How to Make Homemade Baby Food in a Vitamix or Blendtec Blender
Most homemade baby food in a blender only requires 2 ingredients.
- Choose the first ingredient (the flavor) and add to blender: carrots, peas, pears, etc. If the ingredient is a vegetable, it must be steamed prior to blending.
- Add the second ingredient to blender: water, formula, or breast milk. Where the recipe calls for water, a formula/water mixture may be substituted. (Do not add formula in powder form).
- Blend until desired consistency is achieved.
Every parent wants to provide their baby with the best nutrition, so what better way than to make your own baby food.
It’s much easier on your wallet (even more so when comparing to organic baby food) AND you get to control what you put in your baby’s body.
You don’t have to be a gourmet chef or have tons of free time to do it either!
Let’s face it, life is busy, especially when you throw kids into the mix! With little prepping, let your high powered blender do the work for you!
Your healthy pureed baby food can last refrigerated for 3-4 days or up to 3 months in your freezer, saving you time during mealtimes since all you have to do is pull it out, thaw, and heat for your sweet little one!
Blender Babes recommends using organic fruits and vegetables when possible.
BABY FOOD IN A BLENDTEC:
- Choose 2 cups of one or more ingredients and prepare accordingly. Place into the Blendtec container along with 1/4 cup (60 ml) water, formula or breast milk and secure lid.
- For most puree foods, push the SPEED UP button until blender reaches speed 4. Allow the blender to run for 15 seconds and then press the PULSE or “X” button to stop. If mixture is too thick, remove the lid and add additional water, formula or breast milk, 1/4 cup (60 ml) at a time. Continue blending to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve immediately or freeze excess baby food in ice cube trays.
BABY FOOD IN A VITAMIX:
- Choose 2 cups of one or more ingredients and prepare accordingly. Place into the Vitamix container along with 1/4 cup (60 ml) water, formula or breast milk and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to variable 4. Increase speed as needed, depending on ingredients used, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds. If mixture is too thick, remove the lid plug and add additional water, formula or breast milk, 1/4 cup (60 ml) at a time through the lid plug opening. Continue blending to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve immediately or freeze excess baby food in ice cube trays or baby food storage containers.
Tip from the Moms in our Blender Babes Tribe:
To get more nutrients, use the cooking water when blending, unless you are making pureed carrots.
If you are making carrots, do not reserve any left over water to use for thinning out the carrots if baby is under 8 months old as Nitrates may seep into the cooking water.
When making batches of baby food for freezing, only use freshly-expressed breast milk – never use frozen breast milk that has been thawed.
Please consult your child’s pediatrician for specific nutritional requirements and when to introduce solids.
Carrot Baby Food Recipe Tutorial Using a Vitamix!
Banana Baby Food Recipe Tutorial Using a Blendtec!
Note: The Blender Babes now wear activewear.