Try our FREE Juice Detox!
HEALTHY PEPPERMINT BARK RECIPE
Not everything we make here at Blender Babes is a green smoothie! This healthier classic holiday candy recipe uses crushed candy canes to make chocolate peppermint bark. Our testers also really like pistachios or other nuts, cranberries, or other candy toppings too, so don’t be afraid to experiment! Crush the candies or nuts quickly and easily in your Vitamix or Blendtec for the topping – you can get as healthy or not-as-healthy as you want with this recipe. If you have extra crushed candy canes, don’t hesitate to use them as garnish for a Peppermint Alexander cocktail.
- Four 14-ounce dark chocolate bars or 16-ounces dark chocolate chips
- Two 7-ounce white chocolate bars
- 8 ounces dried, shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Peppermint extract
- 1 cup crushed peppermints, candy canes, or other holiday candy
- Place the candy canes or peppermints in your blender jar.
- For Blendtec: Pulse until satisfactorily crushed.
- For Vitamix: Turn on Variable 10/HIGH and turn off and on several times to pulse or use PULSE feature.
- Make sure you don't over-blend! The candies should vary in size and aren't crushed into peppermint sugar! ;)
- Melt dark chocolate in double boiler or in microwave with 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract for one minute, stir, and reheat for 15 second increments if necessary, until lumps are out. Once melted completely, pour onto a wax coated cookie sheet with rims, and let settle (set aside for at least 20 minutes, in the refrigerator if you have room!).
- Melt the white chocolate in double boiler or in microwave for one minute, stir, and reheat for 15 second increments if necessary, until lumps are out. Place the coconut into your blender jar with the melted white chocolate and with 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional).
- For Vitamix: Set to Variable Speed 10/HIGH and blend for 3-4 minutes to combine the chocolate and coconut until its smooth.
- For Blendtec: Using the Fourside or Wildside jar press the SOUP button 2-3 times (3-4 minutes total) until well combined. If the blade spins freely, stop the machine and use a spatula to push the ingredients towards the blades and reblend. Or just use the Twister Jar!
- Pour the white chocolate coconut mixture over the dark chocolate layer evenly, cover with candy pieces, and let cool.
- Once cooled the easiest way to cut is with a pizza cutter, or break it apart with your hands if you wish. ENJOY! This candy will keep for at least a week in an air-tight container.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! :) Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PEPPERMINT
Peppermint is good for digestion – so a peppermint before you leave a restaurant does more than freshen your breath! From reducing nausea to relieving menstrual cramps, peppermint is good for your tummy. But most of all, research has suggested that peppermint significantly relieves irritable bowel syndrome symptoms! 75% percent of people suffering from IBS experience relief when using peppermint oil supplements – so if this candy doesn’t do the trick, you may want to try it in pill form. Peppermint actually activates an anti-pain channel in the colon, soothing inflammatory pain in the gastrointestinal tract.