Join Our Free Superfood Smoothie Challenge!
NUTTY CHOCOLATE CHIA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
This high fiber, high protein smoothie with plant based protein in chocolate includes an added chia superfood boost as well as satiating healthy fats from a bit of nuts and touch of cacao.
It is sooooo good, you would practically think you’re having dessert!
I used ground chia seeds, but you can also soak your chia seeds in your milk substitute for 10-15 minutes prior to blending, which helps with digestibility and texture of the smoothie.
The chocolate hazelnut spread (don’t use unhealthy Nutella!) gives this dessert like smoothie a rich flavor that will leave you satisfied for hours!
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened milk substitute
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (ground or soaked)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (such as Chocolate Vega One Protein)
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs or raw cacao
- 1 tablespoon chocolate/hazelnut spread (Justin's or Not-tella)
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts, raw almonds or cashews (soaked 4-8 hours)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup ice (more if using fresh banana)
- Optional - shredded coconut or shaved cacao for garnish
- Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- For Blendtec: Use the SMOOTHIE button.
- For Vitamix: Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 30 to 45 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and top with optional coconut flakes and/or shaved cacao
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS & FUN FACTS
Chia seeds are a popular superfood with many health benefits.
It helps fight belly fat by stabilizing blood sugar levels which is good for diabetics.
They keep you fuller faster thanks to tryptophan which also helps regulate appetite, sleep and improves mood.
A small amounts packs in tons of protein and fiber, with 3.1 grams per of protein and 5.6 grams of fiber per half ounce.
Also high in a balanced form of Omega 3’s and 6’s.
Raw cacao nibs contain polyphenols which may help lower bad cholesterol and improve the health of your brain and arteries.
They are also high in fiber, with a 1 ounce serving providing 9 grams or 36% of the RDI.
The fiber and polyphenols may work together to help control blood pressure and blood glucose levels.