RED, GREEN, AND BLEU SALAD WITH TANGY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE RECIPE
You know when your plate is full of color that you’re eating a delightful and balanced meal! This salad balances red onions, pomegranate, and bleu cheese with a tangy balsamic vinaigrette dressing, all tossed over a red-leaf lettuce or you can use whatever greens you want! If bleu cheese isn’t your thing, feta works well with this as well. This would be a great start to an evening meal, or as a light lunch. The balsamic vinaigrette is packed with flavor and easy to make in your Vitamix or Blendtec blender, however it can also be made in a regular blender. I wouldn’t hesitate to put it on any salad – but this one is especially tasty.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil first press, if possible
- Salt and white pepper to taste if desired
- 1 bunch of red leaf lettuce or any dark green that you desire, torn into pieces
- 1 small red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled bleu cheese I like the moister variety for this
- Pomegranate seeds 1/4 pomegranate, pith and skin removed
- 6 ounces chicken (optional)
- For Vitamix: Place the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and turbinado sugar in your Vitamix container. (Note: If using a compact 64oz Next Generation container, double the recipe). Start on Variable Speed 1, slowly increase to speed 10/High. With the Vitamix running, remove the inner lid plug and VERY SLOWLY add the olive oil in a thin stream. Continue pouring slowly until all the oil is in the blender container. Run for 10 more seconds then stop.
- For Blendtec: Place the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and turbinado sugar into your FourSide Jar. (Note: If using a WildSide jar, double the recipe.) Run the DRESSINGS/BATTERS cycle. While the cycle is running, remove the stopper and VERY SLOWLY add the olive oil in a thin stream. Continue pouring slowly until all of the oil is in the blender container.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and pulse three or four times to combine.
- Toss together the lettuce and red onion.
- Lightly toss in the crumbled bleu cheese.
Top with the pomegranate seeds and (optional) chicken.
- Dress your Red, Green, and Bleu Salad to taste with dressing and ENJOY!
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BALSAMIC VINEGAR
Balsamic vinegar is the result of pressing grapes, cooking down the resulting juice, and then aging it for several years. The grapes used contain quercetin, a bioflavinoid with antioxidant properties that fight free radicals, which wards off inflammation that can lead to cancers. Unlike most creamy dressings, those using balsamic vinegar are low in cholesterol and saturated fats. Balsamic vinegar also contains polyphenols, which stimulates stomach enzymes, assisting digestion, elimination, and weight loss.