Try our FREE Juice Detox!
EASY DAIRY FREE MEXICAN HORCHATA RECIPE
This is a great healthy version of traditional horchata, originally made from barley or tiger nuts.
This version is a Mexican horchata, made with healthy brown rice so anyone can do it, without so much as an extra trip to the grocery store!
You can use filtered water for a cleaner low calorie horchata which is the way I originally tested it, however you can also use your favorite milk substitute for a creamy, more flavorful drink which is what I did for test round 2.
If using a Blendtec or Vitamix blender, you could also make your own rice milk or almond milk and leave un-strained to maximize health benefits. Otherwise, after blending you can strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag for a thinner consistency.
Dairy-Free HorchataPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 cup milk substitute or cold filtered water
- 3 tablespoons honey raw
- 1 ⁄2 cup raw almonds soaked in 2 cup hot water for 3 hours and then drained
- 1 ⁄4 cup cooked brown rice rinsed after cooking
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in the blender jar in order listed
- Blendtec: Press the WHOLE JUICE Button
- Vitamix: Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run for 1 minute or until smooth.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
CINNAMON HEALTH BENEFITS
Cinnamon is an underrated spice cabinet necessity! Cinnamon helps to reduce inflammation in the body including arthritis. It’s great for women, as it stabilizes hormones, reducing pre-menstrual symptoms.
This spice is proven to lower the levels of bad cholesterol which helps our heart function. Cinnamon also makes us more alert and able to concentrate, which prevents illnesses like Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Though we tend to use cinnamon in sweet recipes, it is also tasty when paired with cayenne for deeper flavor in savory dishes like this soup!