Get My Top Soup Recipes eBook + 8 Other Blender Recipe eBooks!
EASY THAI COCONUT SOUP RECIPE (Tom Kha Gai)
This is seriously the easiest thai coconut soup recipe you will ever find online, especially if you don’t have specific thai soup ingredients such as fresh lemongrass, fish sauce or chili paste.
As a busy mom I have to meal plan – or the whole family ends up eating mac n cheese 2 days in a row!
Even with meal planning, however there are times when I need a healthy meal I can whip up quickly.
Recently I discovered Kevin’s Natural Foods sauces which are non-gmo verified, paleo and keto. They also contain ZERO preservatives and are dairy-free, soy-free and gluten-free.
Healthy, real food ingredients are a big deal for both myself and my clients. I usually don’t like using pre-made sauces because they are full of preservatives, sugar, etc.
One evening I was craving thai soup. In particular, Tom Kha Gai. However I didn’t have time to run to the store for the usual ingredients.
I found the Thai Coconut Sauce from Kevin’s Natural Foods though, so I attempted the simplest soup I have ever made (aside from my easy tortilla soup).
It doesn’t even require a blender, and it came together in less than 20 minutes.
My thai coconut soup is Paleo, Keto and dairy-free, and contains no refined sugar, soy or gluten. It can easily be a plant-based, vegan/vegetarian soup by using vegetable stock and tofu as the protein.
Pro Tip: I highly recommend doubling the recipe. The leftovers the next day give the flavors time to further meld together – and it’s even more mouth watering.
Note – If you don’t have Kevin’s Natural Food Thai Coconut Sauce, you can add fresh lemongrass, fish sauce, sugar and chili paste to taste.
Don’t forget to join our community for more great soup recipes and let us know in the comments if you try it! And let us know how you like this one by rating it below.
Easy Thai Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
- 1 package Kevin's Natural Foods Thai Coconut Sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth ,or vegetable broth (vegetarian)
- 1 can 14-ounce/396-g can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp about 1-inch fresh ginger ,peeled
- 8 oz mushrooms ,sliced. Can be button, cremini or shitake
- 8 oz carrots diced
- 1 shallot or 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 pound shrimp , chicken or tofu (protein of choice or an assortment)
- 1 juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 red sweet or chili pepper (optional, sliced for garnish)
- In a medium saucepan, add onion and mushrooms and cook on medium heat until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add shrimp (or other protein) and ginger. Then add Kevin's Thai Coconut Sauce, coconut milk, broth and lime juice. Reduce heat and simmer until protein is fully cooked.
- Serve in bowls and garnish servings with cilantro and (optional) sliced pepper.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCONUT MILK
Coconut milk can aid in weight loss, since it is rich in short and medium chain triglycerides that are considered to be healthy fats.
It can also help reduce joint pain and inflammation, which people suffering from autoimmune inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus arthritis do by substituting sugar for coconut milk as a sweetener
A balanced gut is so important for health and weight loss and coconut milk contains Zinc, a mineral that many of us are deficient in, that aids in the renewal of the cells that line the intestinal wall. This can help prevent the translocation of harmful bacteria from the intestinal lumen into the blood stream (leaky gut) and reduce diarrhea.