Ready to use your blender to create easy and delicious meals, snacks, smoothies, condiments, cocktails and treats? Grab our Ultimate Healthy Blender Recipes eBook Bundle - Now 62% OFF!
Enter our latest Blender Giveaway!
RUM SPIKED HOLIDAY HORCHATA RECIPE
This holiday horchata recipe is sinfully delicious – we’re not gonna lie!
We were gonna try to make this horchata recipe healthier, but then we decided some things are best in their traditional form.
Try this creamy, spiced holiday drink on a cool evening, as it is sure to warm you up!
Toasted rice and cinnamon are ground up in your power blender then combined with a bit of rum, milks and water to produce a smooth, complex and comforting beverage that is perfect for a holiday party or family gathering.
If you’re looking for a kid-friendly version, try this healthified Mexican horchata recipe.
Be sure to join our blending loving tribe or more holiday recipes and comment below if you LOVE Horchata. Plus share your rating with us if you try this! 🙂
Rum-Spiked Holiday Horchata
- 1/3 cup medium or long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces dark rum
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon additional to garnish
- Cinnamon sticks to garnish (optional)
- Warm 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and rice in skillet over medium heat until you can smell them toasting. Then place them into your dry blender jar to grind into a fine powder.
- For Blendtec: Press the SPEED UP Button to Speed 9 and run for 50 seconds (full cycle)
- For Vitamix: Can use wet jar or special dry grains jar. Select VARIABLE, speed 1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to high. Grind to desired degree of fineness, about 1 minute.
- Add the vanilla, milks, and water to the blender jar. If you do not plan on straining the mixture, you can use 3 cups of water and 1 cup of ice to ensure a cold beverage.
- For Blendtec: Run SMOOTHIES cycle.
- For Vitamix: Blend on HIGH for 30 seconds or until thoroughly combined.
- Pour over a cheesecloth or through a strainer if desired into a punch bowl.
- Place into the refrigerator until cold, or serve immediately over ice.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over top of drink before serving and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
CINNAMON HEALTH BENEFITS
Cinnamon is an underrated spice cabinet necessity!
Cinnamon helps to reduce inflammation in the body including arthritis. It’s great for women, as it stabilizes hormones, reducing pre-menstrual symptoms.
This spice is proven to lower the levels of bad cholesterol which helps our heart function.
Cinnamon also makes us more alert and able to concentrate, which prevents illnesses like Alzheimer’s and dementia.