PROTEIN PACKED PUMPKIN PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE RECIPE
If you’re looking for a super tasty pumpkin smoothie that packs a nutritious punch, look no further! This high protein, high fiber holiday pumpkin treat is the perfect breakfast, post-workout or even a dessert smoothie that you can make in your Blendtec or Vitamix high powered blender! We love using frozen banana to give this pumpkin smoothie a thick texture, and if you bake and blend FRESH pumpkin, just make sure to chill the pumpkin puree so the smoothie stays cold. Add in yogurt and orange juice and you have a healthy smoothie with 740 milligrams of potassium per serving, or you can substitute the yogurt with 1/2 cup cashews and almond or soy milk to make this a vegan pumpkin smoothie! You can also lower the calories and healthy fats by using only 1 Tbsp peanut butter or omitting the sugar, it’s just as good! YUM!!! Definitely try during our beautiful autumn season, or it would be the perfect spooky beverage for a Halloween Party! Subscribe for more great blender recipes!
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, chilled (canned or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar OR coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- Dash of All Spice (optional)
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- For Blendtec: Press the SMOOTHIE button.
- For Vitamix: Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 30 seconds or until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately.
HEALTH BENEFITS & FUN FACTS
Pumpkin is a fall favorite for many, but with it’s health benefits it provides, this member of the squash family should be more a part of your regular diet. The orange flesh contains a rich supply of fiber, contributing to digestive health. One cup of pumpkin puree provides you with 7.1 grams of dietary fiber. Even better, it also contains potassium, also necessary for a healthy digestive system. Pumpkin also contains iron, which helps keep support the immune system. Another immune system booster that is found in pumpkin is Vitamin A, which not only helps keep your immune system working, but keeps your eyes, bones, and teeth healthy too. It also protects your cells from damage, which can lead to certain diseases, including cancer. (Source: healthy eating)