Try our FREE Juice Detox!
LIGHT CRANBERRY ORANGE RELISH RECIPE
You have to have cranberry on the table at Thanksgiving, but it doesn’t have to come from a can! This cranberry-orange relish is a quick twist on traditional cranberry sauce. You can make it up to three days ahead, and it maintains a not-too-sweet, not-too-tart flavor that will go with your turkey AND all the trimmings. If you can’t get your hands on fresh or frozen cranberries, this recipe could also spruce up the typical canned variety: just leave out the sugar, add the citrus and spices! A Vitamix or Blendtec blender will easily combine the ingredients, but you can use a “regular” food processor too.
- One 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen thawed cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup orange sections
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup sugar preferably raw
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Celtic salt
- Cinnamon stick
- Place all ingredients except cinnamon stick into your jar.
- For Vitamix: Start at Variable Speed 1, turn the machine on and increase to Variable 3. Turn off when chopped but not pureed.
- For Blendtec: Press the PULSE button until combined but not pureed.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick if desired and serve. If not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! 🙂 Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CRANBERRIES
Cranberries grow in bogs — a distinctive type of wetland with acidic waters. Bogs are a harsh environment for delicate fruits, but cranberries have tough leaves and stems that retain fresh water for growth. Though natural bogs were formed by glaciers, now they are mostly man-made, as they demand a constant stream of fresh water as well as an ability to stay flooded. Due to the delicate nature of cranberry bogs, most cranberry farming operations span generations and maintain less than twenty acres of bog.
Cranberries are worth the extra effort, though, being a primary remedy for urinary tract infections. They are also packed with phytonutrients that fight oral, colon, prostate, andbreast cancers.