Try our FREE Green Smoothie Challenge!
STRAWBERRY CUCUMBER SMOOTHIE RECIPE
What we love about this tasty vegan smoothie is it’s refreshingly simple, low calorie AND you almost always have all of the 5 ingredients in your kitchen! As always, we recommend buying organic cucumber, since the skin is the most nutritious part. It also adds some natural hydration as well a potassium, without a banana! However if you can’t buy an organic cucumber, make sure to use a pesticide wash OR soak in a tub of water with vinegar for 10 minutes. As Joy recommends, use hot house cucumbers with thin skin if you do not own a Blendtec or Vitamix blender. We like this smoothie with frozen strawberries because it’s less watered down, but of course fresh strawberries can be used. Lemon juice adds adds some cleansing properties and raw honey adds a touch of sweetness. Diabetics can leave out the honey and use stevia or xylitol.
Joy the Baker loves dessert and her recipes prove it! She provides warm and inspiring blog posts with beautiful photography. We hope you enjoy trying them as much as we do!
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened, plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup English cucumber, with skin
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
- A squeeze of lemon
- 2 cups ice (1 cup if using frozen fruit)
- Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- For Blendtec: Press the SMOOTHIE button.
- For Vitamix: Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! :) Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CUCUMBERS
Composed of 95 percent water, cucumbers keep the body hydrated and also helps the body eliminate toxins. Surprisingly cucumbers have almost all of the vitamins your body needs in a single day! The skin contains a large amount of vitamin C, about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance – so be sure to wash the pesticides off or buy organic and leave it on.
Cucumber juice contains a hormone that is needed by your pancreas cells to produce insulin, which has been found to be beneficial to patients with diabetes. Cucumbers contain fiber, potassium, and magnesium. These work to regulate blood pressure making cucumbers a natural way to help treat both low and high blood pressure.