Enter our latest Blender Giveaway!
MY NUTTY VALENTINE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
This valentine’s day smoothie recipe is a beautiful rich color somewhat reminiscent of natural red velvet cake. It is perfectly balanced between sweet and tart and is bursting with an intriguing list of mouth watering ingredients you’re sure to enjoy. The slight tartness from the raspberries and cacao and luscious creaminess and nutty flavor from the pistachios or cashews, and coconut milk. The variety of ingredients provides an interesting depth of flavor that you and your honey will agree reminds you of one of those fancy raspberry chocolates – without the guilt! Of course, it’s topped with pomegranate seeds, which are known as a powerful aphrodisiac. We wouldn’t be surprised if you (or the love you make it for!) groans at first sip. You might want to blindfold them first!
Use a high speed blender, like a Blendtec or Vitamix to get those raspberry seeds, and join our community for more healthy smoothie recipes from Blender Babes! Share your rating with us below if you try this one at home!
- 6 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds **
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- ⅛ cup pistachios (shelled) or cashews, unsalted
- 2 scoops strawberry sorbet or "nice" cream*
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (optional-- if the sorbet or nice cream is sweet, you may not need this)
- 1 scoop collagen (optional)
- 1/2 cup ice
- Place milk, chia seeds, raspberries, nuts and 1/2 cup of ice into your blender and blend on high to pulverize the berry seeds.
- For Blendtec: Use the SOUP button or blend on Manual Speed HIGH for 1.5 minute
- For Vitamix: Start on Variable Speed 1, slowly increase Variable Speed 10/High and blend about 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend on medium speed until smooth but still thick, about 20-30 seconds.
- All done! Enjoy!! Now take a photo, rate it, and share your accomplishments! :) Tag @BlenderBabes & #BlenderBabes
** Try topping this with whipped cream as well
HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCONUT MILK
The coconut fruit’s meat juice, milk and oil have traditionally been used in island populations around the world in everything from cooking to disease prevention. Here are three health benefits of the unique fatty acids found in coconut milk:
New research has revealed that not eating enough fat can actually make you fat. It is believed that people who include more healthy fats in their diet, such as the medium-chain triglycerides found in coconut milk, eat less than those who don’t get enough fat. While all fats help the body feel full and satiate and control appetite, the fat in coconut milk may increase metabolism and perhaps increase weight loss on a reduced-calorie diet.
Immune System Health
Coconut milk contains lauric acid, antimicrobial lipids and capric acid, which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. The body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which may fight the viruses and bacteria that cause influenza, herpes, and even HIV!
Healthy Skin and Hair
Coconut milk is highly nutritious when ingested, and these nutrients may help fortify and condition skin and hair as well. The fatty acids in coconut milk are a natural antiseptic and may help treat dandruff, skin infections, wounds and dry, itchy skin. Furthermore, the high fatty acid content in coconut milk serves as a natural moisturizer for healthy skin and may help repair wrinkles and sagging in aging skin.